Sunday, April 2, 2017

Harrisburg Capital 10-Miler

It was April 1, 2017 the morning of the Harrisburg Capital 10 miler.  This was my third time running this event.  It was a cool morning, after a day a very hard rain.  In the morning I ran around the island spotting out where the "water hazards," there was a very large water hazard on the west side of the island.  I knew we would have to run a little off-road to get around it.  So I meant up with my coach, Lindsay, took a lap around the island with her, and then got ready for the race. 

I lined up just before 9:00, a few people back, I never want to start in the front, because I hate the feeling of being passed by everyone. So I started out just behind the fast people, and I wanted to line up on the right side so I could get around the "water hazard."  The gun went off and off we went I worked my to the right hand side of the pack, and worked my way around the water hazard and a few of the people that thought they were faster than me.  The coast was clear and I was ready to run, I got around the island and felt great I was headed across the Walnut Street Bridge and looked at my watch, and said "Oh Shit, too fast."  My watched said six minutes, I knew that would be way to fast.  I hit the first mile marker at 6:04, that was way too fast, but I felt good, and I knew I could slow down a little bit for he next mile.

The next mile was along the river front and the packs were broken up at this time, and I was settling into a pace that I could managed over the next nine and half miles.  I got to mile two and 6:18 was on my watch I was much happier with that mile, settle into this pace I told myself. I got to Phoenix Park, another spot that I was nervous for, since this is mostly gravel and dirt trail, and we had heavy rain yesterday.  I got around the park, we are on the fifth mile, and we have the long run along the river next.  The race heads north along the river front.  I slowed down heading up the river front, I was chasing two guys who were pulling away from me.  We made it up to the Sunken Garden, and I couldn't see them anymore.

They next part of the race was the Harvey Taylor Bridge, which I knew there were going to be cross winds.  I could see the two guys in front of me on the bridge.  The one guys was way a head of me, I knew I wouldn't be able to catch him.  I also thought I wouldn't be able to catch the other guy either, but I thought I would try.  But I kept myself together, and told myself make it to mile 8 and give it all you got. 

I got advice from my coach the day before the race, which was "you can do anything for two miles."  Which was the mantra that I kept telling my self as I was returning on the Harvey Taylor Bridge.  I ran as fast as I could for the last two miles.  I got to mile 9 and I finally passed one of the guys I have been chasing for the past 8 miles.  He passed me again on the Walnut Street bridge and I thought I lost him for good, he was pulling away from.  We got off the bridge, and I chased him through the commence part of City Island, and finally caught him on return to the finish line.  I gave it all I got, I didn't look back and I just ran, ran like I stole something.  I finished just a little after 1:04.  I was 4th in my age group, outside of any prizes.

I didn't make my time goal, but I do believe I did a little bit better with pacing this race, than my last.  I felt stronger near the end and I think that was the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment